Thursday, October 14, 2010

Please, let's nip this in the bud

I just saw this video for the first time and I hope it does not catch on.

While anyone reading this blog for more than four seconds will know my position on gay marriage, I think this is an incredibly stupid tactic. Almost to the point that it seems like it could be a reverse tactic from the right. At least I wish it was.
The whole point of this movement is to show people that gays are not after all degenerates polluting society with their immoral ways. That they are fully capable of raising good upstanding children. That gay marriage is good for society. This video portrays gays and their supporters as snotty pricks who are fully aware their existence is offensive and relish rubbing it in your face. People who raise children to think 'fuck you you fucking fuck' is a good way to win an argument.
I understand the frustration. I'm frustrated myself. But this low-road approach is not only a poor way to win hearts and minds, but an excellent fundraising tool for the culture warriors. I realize by embedding this video I'm (very slightly) upping its hit count, but I hope I can at least neutralize it with my condemnation of it. Vinegar and honey people. You can do better.

No comments: