Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Garrison Keillor's war on Xmas

I once came to the defense of Garrison Keillor when a friend said he "loved Jesus" too much for her to enjoy his work. "He's not so bad," I said. Well, maybe the stroke did some damage to his brain, or maybe she was right all along.
I saw the evidence of this when P.Z. Myers blogged about this screed Keillor published in the Chicago Trib, in which the voice of Lake Wobegon accuses "Jewish guys" of "trash[ing] up the malls" with their Christmas music that's not about Baby Jesus ("Rudolph and the chestnuts and the rest of that dreck").
He then informs us that
Christmas is a Christian holiday -- if you're not in the club, then buzz off.
No, Garrison, I'm afraid it's not. If it were, the churches wouldn't have to go to such trouble every year to remind us that "Jesus is the reason for the Season". It's a cannibalized set of traditions that have been further consumed by the culture at large. It's a time to be with family, to enjoy rest, to give gifts, eat, drink and have a good time. So I'm not going to buzz off. I'm going to enjoy Christmas like everyone else. And I hope you do too. Merry Christmas and Io Saturnalia.

What else is interesting is when I went looking for this piece I found this version, which seems to have been chopped down a bit regarding those Jewish fellows and the buzzing off and what not. It seems the Trib might be responding to the backlash from this column. To this I say: you can't unring a bell.

1 comment:

Clay said...

Well summarized.
Christians trying to own xmas is irrational. I feel like atheists, agnostics, and skeptics trying to boycott Xmas is equally irrational. Let's all eat some ham, partake in some libation, and relax.